Thursday 2 January 2014

Unlikely friends

So, when Peri and I moved into our new home- there was also the introduction of our two cats who had never lived together. My 3 year old ginger love Rumplestilskin and our 3 months year old new kitten Shanti.


Now, who was Rumplestilskin- he appeared in one of the fairy stories of the brothers Grimm; he tells a woman he will not hold her to a promise if she can guess his name and when she discovers it he is so furious that he destroys himself. The name Rumpelstilzchen in German means literally "little rattle stilt". (A stilt is a post or pole which provides support for a structure.) A rumpelstilt or rumpelstilz was the name of a type of goblin, a mischievous spirit that clatters and moves household objects. Okay, so my little Rumples true to his name is an interesting character. Aloof, not really interested in humans (besides me)- will only come cuddle up to me if no one else is around. Finds the strangest little places to hide and then just appears like magic. He doesn't like being cuddled and fussed over. At the same time, my rumples has been a tremendous amount of support for me. Knowing magically when I am sad and lying on my stomach until the tears dry up. Knowing when someone I have brought into the house is not a very good person-- and giving them that little evil Rumples look. Rumples is a magical little cat and could fair well in any fairytale.


Now, Shanti. Shanti, Santhi or Shanthi (from Sanskrit शान्तिः śāntiḥ) means peace, rest, calmness, tranquility, or bliss.True to her name she is a creature of bliss... she loves to cuddle, she loves to be near people. She loves a good afternoon nap cuddled in your arms. She loves everyone.

And so we introduce these two very unlikely cats. Rumples sneers growls and ran away from her and spent two days on top of cupboard little Shanti couldn't reach. And for days little Shanti starred at him, not giving up- hoping for a friendship. 

Two months later, my babies are the best of friends. Cuddled together in bed in love holding hands! True story. Picture evidence below.
Sometimes, life puts you into situations that are not what you would choose- well often. Sometimes you encounter people that are not what you wanted- they don't have the things on the list you have. Friends, boyfriends, family members- they just don't reflect your ideals and you find it hard to love or accept them. 

But time is an amazing thing. And patience... You open up your heart just a little bit each day ... and listen to others points of view- no matter how much you disagree. Let us not all be so quick to judge, me included. To say "well I would never do that", to point fingers. Because is there any normal way to be? Is there any normal way to live to dress, to express yourself? Not that I know of. 

This year, I want to make an effort to embrace others differences and maybe even learn from them. To learn to love people that are not the same as me--- to take a glimpse into the way other people see the world and maybe learn a thing or two. 

.... Lets skip into Lala Land for just a moment where we all can love and accept even just a small piece of those that are different to us. Imagine what we could learn? With love and light my dear friends

No comments:

Post a Comment